Are Private Schools Immoral?

Haim-5
https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/12/progressives-are-undermining-public-schools/548084/?utm_source=atltw
- --------------

The stupidest conversation I ever heard was on the racist radio station, WBAI (99.5 FM, NYC). Some years ago, the fat and voluble Utrice Leid was explaining that the Mercator Map, which famously exaggerates northern hemisphere land masses, was part of the conspiracy of White people to keep Black people down, since the northern hemisphere tends to be populated by White people while the southern latitudes are populated mainly by people of darker hues.

Utrice's opinion was wholly unburdened by any knowledge, whatsoever, of the tradeoffs involved in projecting the 3D globe onto a 2D map---and why different projections are used for different purposes. (The mercator projection is uniquely valuable to navigators because compass directions are straight lines. The trade-off is that area gets distorted.  But, if your purpose is to get there from here, it's the mercator map that you want.)

Jeffrey Goldberg and Nikole Hannah-Jones give Utrice Leid a run for her money.

We spend approx $700 BBBillion per year on a public school population (approx 54 million students in grades 1 to 12) larger than the population of Spain (approx 46 million people). American public education is a massive institution, and massively complex.

Most assuredly, there are "issues" in public education. Nikole Hannah-Jones appears wholly ignorant of all of them. Like the ridiculous Utrice Leid, Hannah-Jones can see race, so she explains everything in terms of race. Even when race has nothing to do with it, which is most of the time.

That is why, when confronted with the apparent racism of White "progressives", rather than considering the possibility that maybe, just maybe, something else is going on, Hannah-Jones throws up her hands and concludes that, "Yup! White progressives are racists, too." (They are racists, indeed, but not in the way Hannah-Jones imagines it.)

I cannot, in good conscience, encourage you to read this article. You would probably lose 2 or 3 IQ points in the effort. What a stupid article it is!

And yet, this is what passes for public discourse on education.  Truly, we live in a degenerate age.

Haim

Re: Are Private Schools Immoral?

Richard Strausz
I read it twice. There goes the IQ...

Quite fascinating.

Richard

> https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/12/
> progressives-are-undermining-public-schools/548084/?ut
> m_source=atltw
> - --------------
>

> I cannot, in good conscience, encourage you to read
> this article. You would probably lose 2 or 3 IQ
> points in the effort. What a stupid article it is!
>
> And yet, this is what passes for public discourse on
> education.  Truly, we live in a degenerate age.
>
> Haim

Re: Are Private Schools Immoral?

Haim-5
Richard Strausz Posted: Dec 23, 2017 10:16 AM

>I read it twice. There goes the IQ...
>Quite fascinating.

Richard, I am sorry you amused are by slack-jawed, spit-drooling, knuckle-dragging racism.

Haim

Re: Are Private Schools Immoral?

Bishop, Wayne-2

I object to your implications about us slack-jawed, spit-drooling, knuckle-draggers but Merry Christmas just the same.  And to the rest of us on this listserve for a few more days.

Wayne

Where