Math Is _______ .

Richard Strausz
How would you finish the sentence? See what others say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB6bfw622fo

Richard

Re: Math Is _______ .

Robert Hansen
Math is math.

Bob

On 12/13/17, 4:54 PM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Richard Strausz" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    How would you finish the sentence? See what others say:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB6bfw622fo

    Richard

Re: Math Is _______ .

Domenico Rosa
> How would you finish the sentence? See what others
> say:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB6bfw622fo
>
> Richard

"Mathematics: It is the gymnastics of the mind"

According to Olga Popova, a students who was in several of my
courses about 20 years ago, this slogan was written on a banner
above the blackboard of her mathematics classroom in her high
school in Crimea.

Re: Math Is _______ .

Bishop, Wayne-2

Math isn't but this little excursion is a complete waste of time.

Wayne

Richard

Re: Math Is _______ .

Richard Strausz
> > How would you finish the sentence? See what others
> > say:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB6bfw622fo
> >
> > Richard
>
> "Mathematics: It is the gymnastics of the mind"
>
> According to Olga Popova, a students who was in
> several of my
> courses about 20 years ago, this slogan was written
> on a banner
> above the blackboard of her mathematics classroom in
> her high
> school in Crimea.

I like Olga’s definition! Thanks.

Richard

Re: Math Is _______ .

Joe Niederberger
Dom Rosa says:
> "Mathematics: It is the gymnastics of the mind"

Ugh, the kind of saying that some find uplifting, and others find mostly vacuous and self-serving. But my main gripe would be that the most interesting gymnastics of the mind are not mathematical at all.

For myself, I view mathematics and the study of and engagement in a large class of games where surprising properties emerge from the combinations and relationships among the objects and rules of those games.

That probably leaves something out that should be in ...

Cheers,
Joe