Re: A little parting wisdom from Wendell Johnson

Re: A little parting wisdom from Wendell Johnson

Bishop, Wayne-2

Thanks for your inspired wisdom.  Anything but making sure that most kids from low socioeconomic, low education communities continue to not have the advantages good private schools (secular and parochial) have to offer in terms of upward mobility through education.

Wayne

Re: A little parting wisdom from Wendell Johnson

Bishop, Wayne-2

>   More and more people are catching on.

True in a sense but more accurately communicated as "drinking the Kool-Aid".  Here is the worst example I've ever seen.  Her "Railside" was demonstrably the least effective general-purpose high school in the state of California in the last year of her 5-year NSF "study" (proselytization program).  Not only a 1-1 school (lowest decile in overall performance and lowest decile among 100 comparable schools), it was the lowest non-specialized (continuation school, school for the blind ...) among the 1-1 schools.  Yet is at the Joint Meeting of the MAA and AMS, no less:

Thursday January 11, 2018, 11:00 a.m.-11:50 a.m.
Project NExT Lecture on Teaching and Learning

Room 6C, Upper Level, San Diego Convention Center

Re: A little parting wisdom from Wendell Johnson

Wayne wrote ...

"True in a sense but more accurately communicated as "drinking the Kool-Aid". Here is the worst example I've ever seen. Her "Railside" was demonstrably the least effective general-purpose high school in the state of California in the last year of her 5-year NSF "study" (proselytization program). Not only a 1-1 school (lowest decile in overall performance and lowest decile among 100 comparable schools), it was the lowest non-specialized (continuation school, school for the blind ...) among the 1-1 schools."

Wayne, I think you two are talking past each other. CW is talking about social justice and you are talking about math.

Bob