SAYINGS XIII

Jerry Becker
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them ... well, I have others."

(Groucho Marx, actor and comedian)

"Those who can, do; those who understand, teach."

(Lee S. Shulman)

"It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously."

(Peter Ustinov, British actor and writer)

"Personally, I am always ready to learn although I do not always like
being taught."

(Winston Churchill, British prime minister)

"The only good dissertation is a done dissertation."

(Richard Stockton Higgins, Father of a Ph.D. candidate     [Sent by
Christine Guy Schnittka]

persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore, all
progress depends on the unreasonable man."

(George Bernard Shaw)

"Nothing strengthens authority as much as silence."

(Leonardo da Vinci)

"Figures don't lie, but liars figure."

(Mark Twain)

"Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win."

(Jonathan Kozol, American nonfiction writer and educator)

"The difficulty lies, not in the new ideas, but in escaping the old
ones, which ramify, for those brought up as most of us have been,
into every corner of our minds."

(John Maynard Keynes, English economist)

"The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas."

(Linus Pauling, Nobel Prize-winning scientist)

"Whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first make mad."

(Euripides)

"Instruction does much, but encouragement does everything."

(Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)      [From a posting by Cloyd Hastings]

"Each time a person stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the
lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, s/he sends forth a
tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different
centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can
sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

(Robert F. Kennedy)

"Every memorandum will leak. Every memorandum marked 'confidential'
will leak even faster."

(Robert Reich, former U.S. Secretary of Labor)

"Read your mail just twice each day. Recapture your life's time and
relearn to dream. Join the slow email movement!"

(Unknown)       [From Monica M. Neagoy's e-mail signature]

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."

(Robert R. Kennedy, former U.S. attorney general and U.S. Senator)

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow; learn as if you were to live forever."

(Mahatma Gandhi)        [From Monica M. Neagoy's e-mail signature]

"Excellence can be achieved if you care more than others think is
wise, risk more than others think is safe, dream more than others
think is practical and expect more than others think is possible."

(Unknown)          [From an auntymath e-mail note]

"Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty without taking off your shoes."

(Mickey Mouse)      [From the signature of Diane Roberts]

"International education exchange is the most significant current
project designed to continue the process of humanizing mankind to the
point, we would hope, that nations can learn to live in peace."

(J. William Fulbright)

- --
Jerry P. Becker
Dept. of Curriculum & Instruction