Year Round School

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Year Round School

Robert Hansen
A push for year round school...

http://news.yahoo.com/longer-school-help-hurt-us-students-131056148.html

"Proponents argue that too much knowledge is lost while American kids wile away the summer months apart from their lessons. The National Summer Learning Association cites decades of research that shows students' test scores are higher in the same subjects at the beginning of the summer than at the end.

The research is very clear about that," said Charles Ballinger, executive director emeritus of the National Association for Year-Round School in San Diego. "The only ones who don't lose are the upper 10 to 15 percent of the student body. Those tend to be gifted, college-bound, they're natural learners who will learn wherever they are."

First off, I am not against more time in school for those that need it and can benefit by it. But it needs to be optional. Why not bring back summer school? In that model, a student could be told to attend if they were struggling, or attend if they or their parents felt it would help.

Also, we need options. The other countries we keep comparing ourselves to have half their kids going off on vocational career paths.

At least Ballinger realizes understands the notion of college bound.

Bob Hansen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Year Round School

Haim-5
Robert Hansen Posted: Jan 13, 2013 12:53 PM

>First off, I am not against more time in school for
>those that need it and can benefit by it. But it needs
>to be optional. Why not bring back summer school? In
>that model, a student could be told to attend if they
>were struggling, or attend if they or their parents felt
>it would help.

   You sweet, naive man.  What kids do you think are going to mainly populate summer school?  You want to create a condition in which mainly black and brown children are sweating it out in summer classrooms while their white and Asian peers are off to the beach, to playing baseball, on their European vacations?

   If summer school is mandatory only for children who need it, the government will be functionally discriminating between black and white children.  (Does this sound preposterous?  Look up "disparate impact".)  If summer school is optional, what will happen if the parents whose children need summer school choose to not send their children to summer school?

   Recall that the Education Mafia do not trust parents.  They make a big deal of "parental involvement", with the clear implication that lack of achievement is not the fault of the schools but of the parents.  If you have parents who are not engaged in their children's education in the first place, how are you going to depend on them to send their children to summer school?  Especially if the child objects.  Can you imagine a child wanting to hang out with his friends instead of sweating it out in a classroom?  (Easily.)

   Clearly, if extended school is going to happen, it will have to be mandatory for everyone.  At this point in our socio-historical development, there is no other way.

Haim
No representation without taxation.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Year Round School

Michael Paul Goldenberg
In reply to this post by Robert Hansen
Robert Hansen wrote: "Why not bring back summer school? In that model, a student could be told to attend if they were struggling, or attend if they or their parents felt it would help."

Something going on in Florida? There's certainly summer school in Michigan, and a lot of very unhappy kids attend.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Year Round School

GS Chandy
In reply to this post by Robert Hansen
Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jan 13, 2013 11:23 PM (GSC's remarks at end):

> A push for year round school...
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/longer-school-help-hurt-us-stude
> nts-131056148.html
>
> "Proponents argue that too much knowledge is lost
> while American kids wile away the summer months apart
> from their lessons. The National Summer Learning
> Association cites decades of research that shows
> students' test scores are higher in the same subjects
> at the beginning of the summer than at the end.
>
> The research is very clear about that," said Charles
> Ballinger, executive director emeritus of the
> National Association for Year-Round School in San
> Diego. "The only ones who don't lose are the upper 10
> to 15 percent of the student body. Those tend to be
> gifted, college-bound, they're natural learners who
> will learn wherever they are."
>
> First off, I am not against more time in school for
> those that need it and can benefit by it. But it
> needs to be optional. Why not bring back summer
> school? In that model, a student could be told to
> attend if they were struggling, or attend if they or
> their parents felt it would help.
>
> Also, we need options. The other countries we keep
> comparing ourselves to have half their kids going off
> on vocational career paths.
>
> At least Ballinger realizes understands the notion of
> college bound.
>
> Bob Hansen
>
Terrific!  This is *effective* problem solving at its best!

Why not, while they're about it, run school 24x7, i.e., for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - for ALL 365 days of the year?

THAT would surely do the needed trick!

I guess no one will ever think of trying to make the process of 'learning + teaching' more effective?  THAT is surely beyond anyone's imagining!

RH prefers 'year-round school' to be entirely voluntary.

Haim remarked: "You sweet, naive man!"

I'd put it somewhat differently, but let it stand.
 
GSC
("Still Shoveling!")
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Year Round School

Robert Hansen

On Jan 14, 2013, at 1:51 AM, GS Chandy <[hidden email]> wrote:

RH prefers 'year-round school' to be entirely voluntary.

You must have missed the article I was referring to. Year round school is certainly not my choice.

Bob Hansen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Year Round School

Robert Hansen
In reply to this post by Michael Paul Goldenberg

On Jan 13, 2013, at 10:21 PM, Michael Paul Goldenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Robert Hansen wrote: "Why not bring back summer school? In that model, a student could be told to attend if they were struggling, or attend if they or their parents felt it would help."
>
> Something going on in Florida? There's certainly summer school in Michigan, and a lot of very unhappy kids attend.

Well, I can't say for the whole state, but it has been essentially eliminated in our district. They have a few programs, but ten years ago it was a extension of every school.

Bob Hansen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Year Round School

Robert Hansen
In reply to this post by Michael Paul Goldenberg

On Jan 13, 2013, at 10:21 PM, Michael Paul Goldenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Something going on in Florida? There's certainly summer school in Michigan, and a lot of very unhappy kids attend.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Year Round School

GS Chandy
In reply to this post by Robert Hansen
Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jan 14, 2013 8:13 PM:

>
> On Jan 14, 2013, at 1:51 AM, GS Chandy
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > RH prefers 'year-round school' to be entirely
> voluntary.
>
> You must have missed the article I was referring to.
> Year round school is certainly not my choice.
>
> Bob Hansen
>
You must have forgotten what you had posted earlier (Jan 13, 2013 11:23 PM):
>>
>> First off, I am not against more time in school for
>> those that need it and can benefit by it. But it
>> needs to be optional.
>>
I agree you did not say "year-round" - but you did say you weren't against "more time in school".

And, as expected, you did entirely miss the real point of my post, which was:
>
> I guess no one will ever think of trying to make the
> process of 'learning + teaching' more effective? THAT
> is surely beyond anyone's imagining!
>
GSC

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Year Round School

Peter Duveen
In reply to this post by Robert Hansen
Some kids would love to go to school year round if they were given the option. How about an "early graduation" enticement?

Why warehouse lumbering adults in kiddy seats and make them ask permission to go to the bathroom? It's costly. Let's move them along as soon as possible, get them out the door at 14 or 15, to whatever the next stage beyond high school.

How about Summer camp? What about a festive learning experience during the summer?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Year Round School

Haim-5
In reply to this post by Robert Hansen
Peter Duveen Posted: Jan 14, 2013 3:52 PM

>Some kids would love to go to school year round if they
>were given the option. How about an "early graduation"
>enticement?

   How about it?

Haim
No representation without taxation.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Year Round School

Lorelei_7
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
In reply to this post by Robert Hansen
Glad that you shared such useful information and it’s true that keeping kids in schools for longer durations makes them better. I am searching for a Phoenix preschool which teaches kids in a pressure free environment.